What is Setai Shinpo?
SEI – correct, proper, original
TAI – body, posture
SHIN – acupuncture
PO – method
Seitai Shinpo is a very new style of acupuncture developed by Daiichi Sorimachi in the 1970s. He was the first to use acupuncture and moxibustion for the purpose of realigning the spine and thereby promoting the internal organ systems to normal healthy function. Seitai Shinpo has been most influenced by the acupuncture-moxibustion style of Sawada Ken and the structural therapy of Sotai Ho as developed Dr. Keizo Hashimoto.
Treatments vary between practitioners, but a Seitai Shinpo treatment will incorporate a combination of needling the front and back of the body along with the application of moxibustion utilizing an herb called Artemesia vulgaris. Diagnosis and treatment is influenced strongly by observation of structural distortions of the body rather than pulse or tongue diagnosis as in other styles of acupuncture.
Goals of Seitai Shinpo:
- Correcting distortions in skeletal structure by treating the soft tissues. And thus resolving disease through the alignment of the structure.
- Increasing the body’s natural immune response through the use of moxa.
- Harmonizing the sympathetic & parasympathetic nervous systems. (Balancing the “fight or flight” stress response with the “rest and relaxation” response.)
- Relieving pain and numbness through the stimulation of the vertebral nerves and the release of endorphins, serotonin, and other “feel good” chemicals.
- Strengthening adrenal activity and supporting the cardiovascular system.
- Stimulating the lymphatic system.
- Balancing the organ systems.
Please note:The goals above represent our aim for each Seitai Shinpo treatment, and as always, treatment results vary from patient to patient.